[LLVMdev] LLVM-gcc scheduler

Evan Cheng evan.cheng at apple.com
Wed May 2 10:41:36 PDT 2007

Currently the default scheduler for ARM / X86 is the bottom up
register pressure reduction list scheduler. For others it's top down
list scheduler (optimize for latency). See X86ISelLowering.cpp: the
setSchedulingPreference() call changes the default. The other
schedulers probably have suffered from bit rot but you can still
choose them explicitly from llc with -sched=<> options. See llc --help.

Take a look at ScheduleDAGSimple.cpp as an example to register a
scheduler. Look for RegisterScheduler.

If you are ambitious, you can think about a post-register allocation
scheduler. :-) It's something on my todo list for a while. There are
tons of different scheduling techniques / heurisitics out there. If
you find something you would like to attempt, please point us to it.
I am sure you will receive lots of feedbacks from the community.

Evan