[LLVMdev] x86 in win32 folder

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Wed Mar 28 12:58:28 PDT 2007

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Reid Spencer wrote:
> We are more likely to adopt scons (via HLVM integration) than XPJ. Scons
> provides a common build specification for all platforms (Win32, Unix,
> MacOS, mainframe) and can also generate the Visual Studio files as
> necessary. This would completely automate the process. As Unix
> developers modify the Scons build scripts, the win32 directory could be
> regenerated automatically and always kept current with the latest files,

Just to set expectations right:

Scons looks promising, but it is still in beta and we obviously aren't
going to switch over to it unless we find it works out well for us.  I
don't think we should consider switching to scons for LLVM 2.0 (there is
no user visible feature of it), but I think that having it available, in
parallel with make, for 2.0 would be great.  This would let people get
experience with it, etc as reid said.

I have no expectation that scons won't work out, but if/when the migration
happens, we want to make it as gentle as possible :), and let lots of
people play with it first.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/