[LLVMdev] Live intervals and aliasing registers problem

Evan Cheng evan.cheng at apple.com
Tue Mar 27 13:25:54 PDT 2007

On Mar 25, 2007, at 7:12 AM, Christopher Lamb wrote:

> While beginning to add vector registers to a back end I came across
> the following problem: as soon as I define two sets of registers
> that have a many-to-one mapping the live interval pass appears to
> double-kill the mapped-onto register. I have the following excerpts
> from my RegisterInfo.td.
>
> def V4R0   : R4v<0 , "V4R0 ", []>, DwarfRegNum<0>;
>
> def R0   : Rg<0 , "R0", [V4R0]>, DwarfRegNum<0>;
> def R1   : Rg<1 , "R1", [V4R0]>, DwarfRegNum<1>;

How are R4v and Rg defined?

> when trying to compile:
>
> define void @_Z3fooii(i32 %a, i32 %b) {
> entry:
>         %retval = select i1 false, i32 %a, i32 %b               ;
> <i32> [#uses=0]
>         ret void
> }
>
> I get this error:
>
> entry (0x8503b90, LLVM BB @0x8501b00, ID#0):
>         %reg1024 = ORI %R0, 0
>         %reg1025 = ORI %R1, 0
>         RETL
> Machine Function
> ********** REWRITING TWO-ADDR INSTRS **********
> ********** Function: _Z3fooff
>
> ********** COMPUTING LIVE INTERVALS **********
> ********** Function: _Z3fooii
> entry:
>                 livein register: R0 killed +[0,2:0)
>                 livein register: V4R0  killed +[0,2:0)  <=== this
> is bad
>                 livein register: R1 killed +[0,6:0)
>                 livein register: V4R0  killed +[0,2:1)
> lib/CodeGen/LiveInterval.cpp:189: failed assertion `B->end <= Start
> && "Cannot overlap two LiveRanges with differing ValID's" " (did
> you def the same reg twice in a MachineInstr?)"'

V4R0 should not have been killed twice. The second ORI instruction is
the last use of V4R0. Are you adding the correct livein's (just R0
and R1) to the function?

Can you dump out the machine basic block? It should have an implicit
use of V4R0 at first ORI but it should not be marked kill. If it is
marked kill, then you need to walk LiveVariables.cpp to find out why.

Evan