[LLVMdev] June 2007 LLVM Developer's Meeting

Reid Spencer rspencer at reidspencer.com
Thu Mar 22 18:26:46 PDT 2007

All,

This message contains important information about the June 2007 LLVM
Developer's Meeting. If you plan to go (or even if you don't), please
read it carefully. Nothing is set in stone yet so if you have a
suggestion, please make it! Your feedback is wanted.

Thank you to all who participated in the Conference Poll we held at the
end of last year.  It let us know your preferences and the general scope
of the meeting. You can read the summary message at:
http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2007-January/007825.html
It is now time to get down to specifics for the Meeting.

THEME:
Almost all of you wanted this meeting to be a casual affair with time to
get to know one another, discover what everyone is doing, and learn
about LLVM.  We have structured the meeting to accomplish these goals.

WHERE:
Apple, Inc. Corporate Campus, Cupertino, CA
We are still securing a specific room. Further details will follow at a
later time.

WHEN:
Friday, June 22nd, 2007  -OR-  Friday, June 29th, 2007
It will most likely be the 22nd but as we're still trying to confirm a
room reservation at Apple, there's a small chance it may change. This
won't happen on June 8th or 15th as those dates conflict with Apple
WWDC. June 1st is too close to the "end of may" LLVM 2.0 release date.
May is release month, July is holiday month. So, we're somewhat narrowed
down to these dates. However, if this doesn't work for you, PLEASE let
us know!

REGISTRATION FEES:
None! Free, as in beer.  All you need to do is get there.

MEALS
Breakfast - get your own :)
Lunch - Apple is planning to cater lunch. If not we'll order from
Quiznos or something.
Dinner - Optional. We'll go to a local restaurant in the Cupertino area.

AGENDA:
The meeting will start at 8am and finish by 6pm, but beyond that not
much is firm.  How much time is spent in the various sessions depends
largely on the submissions we receive from you. We'll try to accommodate
as many submissions as possible, even if it means rearranging this
preliminary agenda. That said, here's roughly how we think it will go:

08:00-08:45 Meet & Greet
08:45-09:00 LLVM Intro and History (Vikram and Chris)
09:00-10:30 Session 1: Introductions (introducing: you)
10:30-11:00 Break, Mingling, Informal Discussions
11:00-12:00 Session 2: Learning LLVM (presentations)
12:00-13:00 Lunch Break (Food brought in, TBD)
13:00-15:00 Session 3: Using LLVM (presentations)
15:00-15:30 Break, Mingling, Informal Discussions
15:30-17:00 Session 4: Improving LLVM (work groups)
17:00-18:00 Wrap up, Social Time
18:00-??:?? Dinner Off Campus (Optional)

CONTENT:
We have four sessions and no content at this juncture. :)  Many of you
expressed interest in making a presentation or leading a work group. It
is now time for you to submit your ideas. All talks are limited to 30
minutes but could be much shorter. We plan to squeeze as many of you in
as possible.  The time limit helps with that.  Any talks, presentations
or papers will be published on a page of the LLVM web site after the
meeting is over. You won't be adjudicated. If you think the mix of
sessions (below) isn't right, please let us know.

Session 1: Introductions - This time is reserved for in-depth
introductions of everyone attending the meeting. The thing you all
wanted most was to get to know one another. So, here's your chance. You
have 2-3 minutes to tell us who you are, what you do, how much you love
LLVM, why you work with it, or anything else you want to say.

Session 2: Learning LLVM - This session will provide presentations about
LLVM. Most everyone at the meeting will be somewhat familiar with LLVM
(if not experts) so if you're inclined to submit something for this
session, find something unique, perhaps a little known secret, an idiom
you use, tips and tricks, tools you use with LLVM, etc.

Session 3: Using LLVM - This session will cover some of the novel ways
in which LLVM is currently being used. If you use LLVM in an interesting
way, please consider making a presentation in this session.

Session 4: Improving LLVM - This time is reserved for specific LLVM
technical issues that need to be addressed. Everyone should submit their
ideas here, from pet peeves to wishful fantasies. What do you think LLVM
lacks? Where does it need to go from here? This session will consist of
a 5 minute presentation by the issue originator followed by 10 minutes
of discussion. This will allow 6 issues to be discussed in this time
slot.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
Format: Abstract by email. If you attach, please use a platform-netural
format (e.g. PDF).
Submit To: llvm-oversight at cs.uiuc.edu (private) or llvmdev at cs.uiuc.edu
(public)
Deadline: All submission abstracts should be received by May 1st, 2007.

PARTICIPATION
Don't be bashful! This meeting is for you and by you. If you have an
idea in any of the topic areas, or anything else, please send it in. Our
goal is to fit as many of you in as possible. To a very large extent the
content of the meeting will be decided by the submissions that are
received.

Finally, we need a head count, for obvious reasons. If you plan to
attend or even think there's a good possibility of attending, we would
appreciate it if you could let us know by May 1st.

We look forward to seeing you there and meeting everyone. Don't miss
this historic event! :)

Best Regards,

LLVM Oversight Group (Chris, Vikram, Reid, Misha)