[LLVMdev] GSOC - HLVM Work

Torvald Riegel torvald at wwwse.inf.tu-dresden.de
Thu Mar 22 06:26:34 PDT 2007

On Thursday 22 March 2007 06:25, Christopher Lamb wrote:
> I'm quite new to hacking on LLVM, but I'll give you an idea I had
> reading some of the recent dev list posts. I think investigating
> concurrency with regards to LLVM would be very useful (what with
> multi-cores and all). This could be concurrency in regards to GC, or
> it could be simply looking at how LLVM can best interface with
> standard concurrency paradigms (OpenMP, MPI) for the languages it
> supports. With a GCC 4.2 front-end port of the front-end available
> what is necessary to enable OpenMP support? Given a FORTRAN front-end
> based on GCC is being considered how could high performance numeric
> codes benefit from some aspect of LLVM?

Really tackling concurrency issues is probably too much work for a summer
unless you are already familiar with concurrent programming. You could try to
produce good code for an existing runtime system, though. With Software
Transactional Memory, for example, you can get large speedups by just
avoiding loads/stores from/to main memory, replacing upgrades from read
access to write access with a single write access, etc. Most of that requires
reasoning only in the sequential domain.

Torvald