[LLVMdev] Google SOC - Idea

Jeff Cohen jeffc at jolt-lang.org
Tue Mar 20 07:45:26 PDT 2007

Duncan Sands wrote:
>> If that fails, I will build a
>> front-end using ANTLR [http://antlr.org] a parser generator with which
>> I am familiar and for which a FORTRAN grammar is already available
>> (targeting an obsolete version of ANTLR, but it should not be too
>> difficult to update).
>>

> Bad plan.  I doubt you can build a serious fortran compiler in this way
> in the time-frame you are considering.

I agree.  I used to work on  Fortran compiler long, long ago in a former
life.  There is no way you're going to write a usable front-end from
scratch in a few months, even with the head start of a parser.  The
parser is the easy bit.

Also -- and I'm surprised no one else noticed this -- you misspell
FORTRAN as FORTAN as often as not.  That does not make a good impression :)