[LLVMdev] Would it be possible to have the LLVM be seen as an arch for the kernel to compile against?

Vikram S. Adve vadve at uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 9 12:16:16 PST 2007

[This may be redundant after John's replies but I typed this last
night and it has been sitting on my laptop.]

That is a good insight.  Please see the following paper, it describes
how to make such an approach work:
	http://llvm.org/pubs/2006-06-18-WIOSCA-LLVAOS.html

We are also working on another paper describing how to extend this
into a complete virtual machine, including memory safety, that can
host a complete modern kernel.

--Vikram
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/