[LLVMdev] Subversion Conversion (IMPORTANT)

Reid Spencer rspencer at reidspencer.com
Tue Jun 26 13:52:21 PDT 2007

All,

I know we've cried wolf before, but the conversion of the LLVM projects'
software to use Subversion instead of CVS *WILL* occur on Friday June
29th with the following approximate schedule:

      * 09:00 CDT (14:00 UTC, 07:00 PDT) - CVS becomes read-only
        (commits prevented)
      * 09:05 CDT (14:05 UTC, 07:05 PDT) - Final conversion to SVN
        starts
      * 11:45 CDT (16:45 UTC, 09:45 PDT) - SVN conversion completes
      * 12:00 CDT (17:00 UTC, 10:00 PDT) - SVN read/write access
        enabled.

Please note that the process will start at 09:00 CDT but the other times
are approximate as it depends on how long things take to run. We'll send
out emails on the day before and during the process to keep you
informed.

If you need to get things committed to CVS prior to conversion, please
make sure its done by 14:00 UTC on Friday June 29th. We'll be using the
USNO Master Clock (http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl), you
should to.

In the next few days (before cut-over on Friday) there are a few things
you need to do to handle this change:

      * Make sure you have Subversion 1.4.3 installed on your machine so
        you can check out. Older versions will work but may lack
        features available in 1.4.
      * Update any scripts or programs you use to checkout/list/commit
        LLVM software to use Subversion (svn) command instead of the cvs
        command.
      * Try a test checkout via anonymous access using the URL:
        http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk When you use this
        URL (http based) you will only have anonymous read-only access.
        Commits will be rejected.
      * If you have commit access, try a few test commits on the SVN
        repository. You can access this now by checking out with this
        https).  This repository will be updated twice per day between
        now and Friday when it goes live. PLEASE NOTE: any commits you
        make to this repository before the cut over on Friday WILL BE
        LOST! Feel free to make commits as we need to test the email
        notification scripts, but don't make commits you want to keep
        there. CVS is still the official repository until the cut over
        on Friday.
      * If you run a nightly tester, please add "-usesvn" to the command
        line that runs the NewNightlyTest.pl script. This will cause
        NewNightlyTest.pl to check out from Subversion instead of CVS.
        If you have your own copy of NewNightlyTest.pl, get a new
        version.

In the next couple of days we will be converting other services like
ViewVC to use Subversion instead of CVS. By Friday, everything should be
good to go.

For full details and latest status, please refer to
http://llvm.org/SVNMigration.html

Reid.