[LLVMdev] on-the-fly recompilation/relinking

Scott Graham scott.llvm at h4ck3r.net
Sat Jun 23 15:24:38 PDT 2007

Hi

Assuming I had an application stub based on (say) lli, and I'd like to allow
a hypothetical IDE to recompile and relink a function:

Is that supported in any way currently? Assuming actually patching all call
sites to point to the newly generated function is possible, I guess what I
need is to be able to either track or find all of the call sites. The
trickiest bit seems to be if the function that's being redefined has been
inlined. Ideally, I'd then (recursively) recompile/relink the function that
it was inlined into given the new definition, but I guess I could just error
out, or perhaps more simply, disable all inlining optimization in the first
place.

A secondary goal (less important) would be to able to "free" the then unused
function in some way, but I'm happy to ignore that problem for now.

Is anyone doing this currently? Any suggestions of where to start on that?
Is this even vaguely do-able or am I overlooking large problems?

thanks,
scott