[LLVMdev] Annotate attribute

Tanya M. Lattner tonic at nondot.org
Tue Jun 19 11:04:23 PDT 2007

>> In the long term, how are different uses of this string going to be
>> kept from conflicting? Is this going to introduce another mini-syntax
>> into LLVM, to allow different passes to recognize which pass the string
>> is intended for, or to allow passes to pull out selected substrings and
>> ignore the rest?
>
> I am also curious to know what this is intended for precisely.  Couldn't
> it be done using debug intrinsics instead?

Its intended for people doing research and need to annotate things for
some special purpose. For example if someone wants to tag all the custom
memory allocators. You would never see this used in mainline llvm for some
optimization (they would probably create a specific attribute if needed).

It would not be a good idea to use the debug intrinsics since those are
for a specific purpose and not generic like this attribute. I don't think
its a good idea to overload them.

-Tanya