[LLVMdev] Improving link time building llvm

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 10:17:00 PDT 2007

Just so people aren't more confused, while eventually most Linux
distributions will supply this version, I suspect that many are
currently on Linux binutils 2.17, the release version, and have not
moved up the 2.17.50.0.* pre-release chain. At the very least, Gentoo,
typically thought of as a bleeding edge distribution, has those
versions very forcibly _not_ installed, so it might benefit people to
explicitly try and grab the latest pre-release version for their
distro.

-Chandler

PS: Having cruised around some websites, Debian testing and unstable
have good versions of binutils, but stable predates it (i think, weird
versioning); Ubuntu should be fine, they're usually not on Debian
stable; and FC7 I _think_ is safe, but really unsure here, could find
very little information. Perhaps best just to try and verify on your
system.