[LLVMdev] SSE levels & x86 code-gen

Chuck Rose III cfr at adobe.com
Mon Jul 30 14:46:36 PDT 2007

Hola LLVMers,

Our language has many vectors in it and I'm looking to make better use
of the SSE instructions on my chips.  Based on the experiments I did
last week and the help you gave me regarding generating the right IR to
generate sound SSE code, I'm ready to begin a major overhaul of our
system.  I have a big question remaining:  if I'm running on an x86
system which is, say SSE-1 only, and we're working with some double
vectors, what happens when we do a compile?  Does the compiler know to
scalarize those vectors and use different instructions?

Thanks,

Chuck.