[LLVMdev] Web Site Re-Design

Nick Lewycky nicholas at mxc.ca
Fri Jul 27 17:40:55 PDT 2007

Gabriel McArthur wrote:
> 6.  Lastly, and most importantly, I am not a professional web
> designer or graphic artist, so I definitely need some feedback about
> things people don't like/would like to see changed.

First off, the site design looks really nice! It's got that clean
unassuming feeling to it and is very appropriate for LLVM! With that
said, I now begin to nitpick. :)

The body text is either too small or too low-contrast (or both). Please
make it black. Yes, it might not look as pretty, but it will at least be
high contrast.

The four major boxes form a corner in the upper-left. Because of the
drop-shadows, they have the image of not lining up even though they
actually do. It looks jarring; try making the main green title piece an
inset that doesn't line up with the other elements, or merging it with
the "llvm" logo piece on the left somehow.

Also, should the title piece really have the text at the bottom? And
could it be a bit bigger? The font looks nice though. (I don't suppose
you're taking a page from Apple's webpage design?)

Also, there's blue-space above the top two pieces, but not to the left
of them. The page isn't square. That's also a bit jarring -- think about
your margins.

While you're at it, the body text in the page is too wide for my browser
leading me to have to scroll horizontally. That's a show-stopper for me.
I know it's being caused by the width of the background image that
includes the rounded edges, but I don't really know how to fix it
cleanly. Hopefully you do. :)

Finally, the footer looks too out of place, but I can't really place
why. It might be because you're using an accent colour in a place that
you don't really intend to accent.

I read the HTML and CSS and I find that it's really clean! Very good
job! I wouldn't even know where to begin thinking of a module web design
strategy like this. Thanks Gabe!

Nick