[LLVMdev] Web Site Re-Design

Gabriel McArthur madeonamac at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 17:04:14 PDT 2007

I offered to do the web site a couple of weeks ago.  Life got in the
way temporarily, and it took me a long time to make it look the way
that I wanted and to make it look the same in IE6.  Anyway, I wanted
to get some feedback on what I had done.

Some concerns:
1.  SSI and JavaScript seem like overkill.  Each subproject can have
their own look and feel by overriding the CSS (...cascading...) --
all of the images are in the CSS, not the page.
2.  It relies rather heavily on transparent PNGs, which may cause
problems for some (though I have yet to encounter any in the 4
browsers I have tried)
3.  I only have 2 screen resolutions to try it out on, so I'm not
sure if anyone else out there will have any rendering issues (it
looks a little "chunky" in Safari -- will investigate further).
4.  I have only finished the first page and part of the Download page
(some of the site is really kind of confusing -- that needs to be
resolved by someone, and I'll try more as I go along)
5.  I would recommend establishing a wiki or "CRM" system where
everybody who is registered (trusted users/whatever) can contribute;
that might help to cut back on the profusion/diaspora/melee of
information, some of which can and should be updated more frequently
and with less of a hassle than putting it into SVN/CVS.
6.  Lastly, and most importantly, I am not a professional web
designer or graphic artist, so I definitely need some feedback about
things people don't like/would like to see changed.

-Gabe

P.S. The image files are from Illustrator CS2 (another thing I needed
to get better at in order to do this); please email the list to let
me know if you would like to play around with them.  (If you don't
have a copy, somebody out there might know somebody who could let 'em
have it for cheap.... wink wink, nudge nudge.)