[LLVMdev] Usage of /dev/null in makefiles wrong

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Mon Jul 23 00:28:34 PDT 2007

  /usr/src/llvm/llvm$ make
  make: Warning: File `/dev/null' has modification time 4.9e+03 s
in the future
  make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/llvm/llvm/lib/System'

At the end of the compilation it emits something about clock skew
detected.

The time of /dev/null on my box is weird because of udev and/or
time local settings. When it's created, the init scripts didn't
have set the right locale. So in the first few hours after I
turned my box on, it's timestamp is in the future.

But hey, it's odd that /dev/null is a "make" target anyway.

When I change line 1474 in Makefile.rules from

  -include /dev/null $(DependFiles

  -include $(DependFiles

then this strange and weird warning vanishes.