[LLVMdev] llvm-gcc-4-2 development branch is open

Devang Patel dpatel at apple.com
Wed Jul 11 15:03:06 PDT 2007

Hi All,

llvm-gcc-4-2 development branch is now open for development at

	llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm-gcc-4-2

It is not yet ready, it can not even bootstrap. I welcome LLVM
developers to test and apply fixes!

However, first take a note of ground rules :

1) LLVM developers, use your write access as judiciously as you use it
for LLVM development and follow same check-in procedure.

2) I'd appreciate if LLVM specific code is covered by appropriate
markers. There are tons of existing examples in current sources.
Entire LLVM support patch is covered by these markers. I might have
removed code from llvm-gcc-4.0 that was required for LLVM support but
was not covered under /* APPLE LOCAL <begin|end> LLVM */ markers. If
someone feels strongly about word APPLE  in these markers then feel
free to change **ALL LLVM specific** markers to say /* LLVM LOCAL
<begin|end> */.  However, please do not change other markers that
carry "APPLE LOCAL" string.

3) This svn module is for GCC-4.2 based front end for LLVM. Please do
not check-in code from FSF GCC mainline (which uses 4.3 as version
number). If you need a LLVM front end based on GCC 4.3, please create
separate llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm-gcc-4-3 module.

4) Keep llvm-gcc-4-2 GPLv3 free. Which means, do not back port code
from other GCC development branches that has adopted GPLv3 lic. If
FSF GCC 4.2 branch adopts GPLv3 then consult llvm oversight group
first before back porting code from FSF GCC 4.2 branch.

Thing that require immediate attention :

1) /* FIXME FIXME */ markers. :)

2) In GCC-4.2 CONSTRUCTOR_ELTS are now represented as VEC instead of a
tree node chain.

3) FILE_TYPE, CHAR_TYPE etc.. tree nodes are gone.

4) In llvm-gcc x86 world, SSE intrinsics are listed in header file,
where as FSF GCC lists them in source file. When I removed list
from .c file, I did not synchronize it with .h file content.  I'll let
x86 code gen folks worry about it :)

5) There are many GCC tree structure changes that I have not noticed
yet.

Note, llvm-gcc-4-2 does not replace llvm-gcc-4-0. Current llvm-gcc FE
(which is based on GCC-4.0) will be added in llvm svn at llvm.org/svn/
llvm-project/llvm-gcc-4-0. I have not picked up llvm-gcc-4-0 check-ins
done in last few days in initial llvm-gcc-4-2 checkin.

Enjoy!

-
Devang