[LLVMdev] -arch option ignored?

Devang Patel dpatel at apple.com
Wed Jul 11 10:36:57 PDT 2007

On Jul 10, 2007, at 10:41 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, Leo Fink wrote:
>>> You need to build darwin driver to use -arch. Try using build_gcc
>>> script to configure and build llvm-gcc.
>>
>> Well, I guess this task exceeds my expertise. I just thought there
>> was some obvious mistake I made because a lot of people might be
>> using llvm-gcc4 as a drop-in to Apple's gcc to build multi-
>> architecture binaries.
>
> Leo, don't feel bad.  The process to get an "apple-style" build
> working
> takes a liberal amount of black magic.
>
> Devang, Bill, Dale, do you guys happen to know how to run build_gcc
> without the buildit script driving it?

Yes, it is simple. All buildit does is invoke GNUMakefile from
top level directory after setting appropriate variables.

buildit does not know anythig about build_gcc. It can not afford to
learn
build_gcc magic, because it is a single interface to build all kind of
projects in the world.

GNUMakefile inovkes build_gcc. It should be easier to understand
build_gcc parameters from GNUMakefile. First and second build_gcc
parameters, $(RC_ARCHS)  and $(TARGETS), sets host and target for
build_gcc. All other variables set by buildit and interpreted by
GNUMMakefile
are easy to understand based on their name.

-
Devang