[LLVMdev] Top Level Stuff

Gordon Henriksen gordonhenriksen at mac.com
Mon Jul 2 10:43:40 PDT 2007

On 2007-07-02, at 13:56, Chris Lattner wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, Gordon Henriksen wrote:
>
>> As a possibly less-engineered complement, your end-state could be
>> provided simply by creating folders in Subversion prefabbed with
>> appropriate svn:externals. Make one for each end-project (llvm-gcc,
>> new-cfe, and soforth). It's not nearly so clever, but it might allow
>> initial usage much closer to the 'configure; make; make install'
>> convention.
>
> My goal is to make it so you *don't* check out all of the LLVM
> stuff by default.  For example, the webpage has binaries of every
> release so far. Noone wants to check that stuff out.  Likewise,
> LLVM has several "dead/in-stasis" projects (like llvm-java and llvm-
> tv) which people don't want to check out unless they are interested
> in revitalizing them.

Right.

> I don't know enough about svn-externals to know how it handles this.

It simply embeds checkout commands into the repository. So this
directory structure is frequently useful:

    ./
      llvm-gcc/   [from ${svn}/llvm-gcc/trunk]
      llvm/   [from ${svn}/llvm/trunk]
      llvm-config/   [from ${svn}/llvm-config/trunk]
      Makefile   [from ${svn}/utils/trunk/Makefile]

it can be created in the repository, making the checkout process a
simple, transparent 'svn co'. This is entirely complementary to your
idea.

— Gordon