[LLVMdev] problems with llc and hello world .

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Sun Jan 21 11:37:55 PST 2007

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007, Ramana Radhakrishnan wrote:
> I've been giving the ARM port of LLVM a spin today and ran into this .
> [ramana at venglathur builddir]$ cat hello.c && llvm-gcc hello.c -c
> -emit-llvm -O3 -o - | llc -march=arm
> llc: bytecode didn't read correctly.

> llvm and the tools is today's CVS head while
> llvm-gcc is llvm-gcc-4
> gcc version 4.0.1 LLVM (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5421)
>
> I get the same issue with -march=x86 so I am guessing its something wrong
> I am doing.

This is because we're in the middle of the LLVM 2.0 process, and the .bc
format is changing (your llvmgcc is producing something different than
what the llvm tools expect).  As a workaround, you can probably do
something like this:

llvm-gcc x.c -S -emit-llvm -O3 -o - | llvm-upgrade | llvm-as | llc -march=arm

That may or may not work.  llvm-upgrade is designed to work with the
output of llvm 1.9.  If your llvm-gcc produces some 2.0isms, it may not
work.

In any case, rebuilding your llvm-gcc is the best way to go.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.org/