[LLVMdev] LLVM ARM backend enhancements

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Tue Jan 16 17:11:54 PST 2007

I'm happy to announce that Apple is contributing some major
extensions to the LLVM ARM backend.  The improvements include support
for ARM v4/v6, vfp support, soft float, pre/postinc support, load/
store multiple generation, constant pool entry motion (to support
large functions), and support for the darwin/arm ABI.  In addition to
ARM support, the backend now includes code generation support for the
Thumb instruction set, which is effectively a completely new and
different code generator.

Evan is the main author of these extensions, but Jim and I
contributed a few pieces here and there.  We're currently working
with Rafael and Lauro to integrate our changes with theirs, and hope
to commit the code in the next couple of days.  We're looking forward
to future collaboration with other LLVM ARM developers to continue
improving the code generator.

-Chris