[LLVMdev] OK, how does this work?

Reid Spencer rspencer at reidspencer.com
Mon Jan 15 18:50:39 PST 2007

Hi Michael,

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 10:24 +0800, Michael T. Richter wrote:
> I'm trying to get LLVM1.9 working on my Ubuntu 6.10 system.  The LLVM
> version in the repositories is 1.7 and I've never managed to get it
> successfully working because whoever packaged it thought it would be
> fun to rename everything.  This means I can't use it to build 1.9 and
> I've therefore decided to try bootstrapping a 1.9 build.
>
> Yes, I've looked at the docs where it said this isn't for the faint of
> heart.  Unfortunately the binary builds provided (RC5 and RHEL4)
> simply don't work for me -- they're asking for .so files that don't
> exist anywhere on my system, nor within their tarballs.  (libelf.so.1
> for starters)  So I've had to crack open the books and try a bootstrap
> build.

Okay.

> The build instructions provided tell me to build llvm-gcc first from
> the source.
> The source for that tells me to build llvm first from the source.  I'm
> not sure where to go from this point.

You should build llvm first, then llvm-gcc.

>   I have two dependencies whose documentation each points firmly at
> the other as the first step to build.  I've tried it both ways and
> been burned by error messages about missing or dysfunctional pieces.

Could you please point me to these inconsistencies so they can be
corrected?

> What's the next step?  How do I actually do a bootstrap?

There are two versions of llvm-gcc, v3 and v4, for the 1.9 release.
We're dropping support for llvm-gcc3 in 2.0 so I urge you to use
llvm-gcc4. However, llvm-gcc4 doesn't yet support C++ exception handling
so you may need llvm-gcc3.  In all other respects, llvm-gcc4 is the
superior product.

For llvm-gcc3, the basic flow is:
   1. Build llvm with "make tools-only"
   2. Build llvm-gcc3
   3. Build llvm with "make"

For llvm-gcc4, the basic flow is:
   1. Build llvm
   2. Build llvm-gcc

This should be covered in the GettingStarted.html document:
   http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html

Reid.