[LLVMdev] Embedded C Extensions

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Fri Feb 23 18:37:28 PST 2007

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Peter Wiedermann wrote:
> Actually the fixed-point support for gcc is developed in a 4.3 branch
> which is regularly merged with the trunk. So there are 2 possible
> approaches:
>
>   1) port llvm-gcc to the actual fixed-point branch (gcc 4.3)

ok.

>   2) port llvm-gcc to gcc 4.2
>      and backport the fixed-point extensions to that llvm-gcc4.2
>      (i assume the backport will not be that much work because the
>      frontends will not really differ)

Right.

> I think the decision basically depends on your release plans. If you
> want to keep track with the current 4.3 development, the first approach
> would be the better one. If you don't like a llvm-gcc release for every
> gcc release, the second approach seems better to me. So let me know
> about your preference.

I'd strongly prefer you to take approach #2.  GCC 4.2 itself isn't
complete yet, and GCC 4.3 is likely to be significantly later than 4.2.
I'd like for next version of llvm-gcc to be based on the released 4.2
(potentially with safe back-ported patches) rather than being based on the
4.3 development branch, which already has a large number of high-impact
changes over what is in 4.2.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/