[LLVMdev] llvm-java

Reid Spencer rspencer at reidspencer.com
Thu Feb 1 08:40:14 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 11:10 -0500, J Malcolm wrote:
> So, the question that every once in a while is posed on this mailing
> list:
>
>   What's the latest on llvm-java?

No work has been done on it for well over a year, maybe two years. The
person developing llvm-java stopped without finishing it and it can
barely run "hello world".

> I couldn't get the CVS version to compile under LLVM 1.9.

It might compile with LLVM 1.7. It definitely won't with later
versions.

> I need to get Java class files to LLVM.

There currently isn't a way.

> If anyone can just tell me how to get it to compile, that would be
> great.

You'd probably be better off spending time getting gcj in llvm-gcc to
work. Most of it is done already as llvm-gcc's support for C/C++/Obj-C
is already in place. gcj generates some tree codes that llvm-gcc
currently doesn't handle. To get it working, someone needs to implement
the delta between what is currently supported and what gcj needs.