[LLVMdev] Odd problem with command line options

Richard Pennington rich at pennware.com
Sat Dec 22 21:41:06 PST 2007

I'm linking a program (my ellsif driver) that basically brings in most
of the LLVM stuff: bitcode reading, optimizations, linking, and target
code generation.

All of a sudden, I'm getting the following when I run:
[~/elsa/ellsif] dev% ./ellsif -v test/ofmt.i test/sieve.i -time-actions -O5
<premain>: CommandLine Error: Argument 'machine-licm' defined more than
once!
ellsif: CommandLine Error: Argument 'machine-licm' defined more than once!

It seems like the constructor for this argument is being run twice.
ellsif works as expected, but I'd like to figure out what's going wrong.

The link command is:
g++ -o ellsif ellsif.o elsa.o -g -Wall ../elsa/libelsa.a
../elkhound/libelkhound.a ../ast/libast.a ../smbase/libsmbase.a
-L/home/rich/llvm-install/lib  -lpthread -ldl -lm -lelf  -lLLVMLinker
-lLLVMArchive -lLLVMipo -lLLVMInstrumentation -lLLVMBitWriter
-lLLVMBitReader /home/rich/llvm-install/lib/LLVMMSIL.o
/home/rich/llvm-install/lib/LLVMCBackend.o
/home/rich/llvm-install/lib/LLVMCellSPU.o
/home/rich/llvm-install/lib/LLVMMips.o
/home/rich/llvm-install/lib/LLVMARM.o
/home/rich/llvm-install/lib/LLVMIA64.o
/home/rich/llvm-install/lib/LLVMAlpha.o
/home/rich/llvm-install/lib/LLVMPowerPC.o
/home/rich/llvm-install/lib/LLVMSparc.o
/home/rich/llvm-install/lib/LLVMX86.o -lLLVMSelectionDAG -lLLVMCodeGen
-lLLVMScalarOpts -lLLVMTransformUtils -lLLVMipa -lLLVMAnalysis
-lLLVMTarget -lLLVMCore -lLLVMSupport -lLLVMSystem

Does this sort of thing ring a bell with anyone?

-Rich