[LLVMdev] APFloat.h header file usage

Reid Spencer rspencer at reidspencer.com
Sat Dec 8 11:33:31 PST 2007

Hi Ted,

On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 06:59 -0800, Ted Kremenek wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2007, at 1:13 AM, Reid Spencer wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to separate the Support, System, ADT and Config header
> > files
> > into the support module, per previous plans. However, APFloat.h is not
> > self-contained:
> >
> > APFloat.h:105:43: error: llvm/Bitcode/SerializationFwd.h: No such file
> > or directory
> > APFloat.h:106:37: error: llvm/CodeGen/ValueTypes.h: No such file or
> > directory
> >
> > As you can see, APFloat.h depends on things that are not in the ADT,
> > Support, or System header files. This, in my mind, constitutes a
> > design
> > flaw. Can we move the functionality that depends on these header files
> > elsewhere?
>
> The inclusion of SerializationFwd.h can be removed by forward
> declaring the following two classes in APFloat.h:
>
> Serializer;
> Deserializer;

Okay, but I imagine that leaves it still being used in APFloat.cpp which
is also trying to be segregated to the support module.

> If this doesn't seem like a clean enough solution, there are other
> ways to potentially decouple APFloat more from the Serialization
> "library."  The tradeoff is that it would require some code rewriting/
> addition, and could potentially make deserialization of APFloats (as
> done in the new C frontend) slightly less efficient.

I doubt the light performance loss will make any significant difference.
Further, putting all the serialization code in one translation unit may
have some benefit for a) clarity (one place to go instead of all over
the place) and b) might perform better due to cache effects because it
isn't spread all over the executable.

Could you take the necessary steps to decouple APFloat from the
serialization stuff and any other serialized data structures that live
in lib/Support, lib/ADT or lib/System? That would help me get the
separation going. While you're doing that, I'll be working on the
makefile cleanup. Hopefully, soonish, we can have llvm module actually
use the support module.

Thanks,

Reid.