[LLVMdev] RFC: Patch for Exceptions

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Tue Aug 28 23:20:02 PDT 2007

Hi Bill,

> This is a (very) rough patch to fix building LLVM with exceptions on
> PPC Darwin. Basically, it puts the burden of adding the "--enable-eh"
> on the specific target, which is where I think it should go.

I don't like it.  LLVM has plenty of features that are not supported
on all targets, why should it be the responsability of llvm-gcc to manage
this particular one and not the others?  It is true that llvm-gcc is
currently the only producer of eh intrinsics.  But hopefully this will
not always be the case; must all front-ends to LLVM manage -enable-eh?
If LLVM doesn't support exception handling for a target then -enable-eh
causes eh code to be lowered to nothing.  It seems to me that problem with
x86-darwin is that LLVM thinks eh is supported but it isn't.  Why not simply
set SupportsExceptionHandling to false for that target?

Ciao,

Duncan.