[LLVMdev] rantings about llvm-top

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Thu Aug 16 00:02:08 PDT 2007

Hi Raid !

I used llvm-top at home and in the company and I basically I like
it. Here are some comments:

- the README.txt says that all routines use a common library
  and therefore accept a common set of arguments. But this
  is confusing, because things like VERBOSE look like an
  environment variable.

  Somehow people are used that arguments are always starting
  with - and that they are usually lowercase, e.g.
  "--verbose=2".

- you don't mention the "option" script. I actually did
  ./option first, then hand-edited the resulting .options
  file. I think is way easier then specifying the same
  PREFIX=blah all the time to ./build.

- it's VERBOSE, not VEROBSE (a typo in the README.txt).

- llvm-top can't build cfe. Maybe the BuildCmd would
  be something like

  "cd llvm/tools; ln -s ../../cfe; make". Then it should
  be able to build cfe?

- many directories are not svn:ignore'd in llvm-top, e.g.
  cfe, llvm-gcc-4.0, llvm. "svn st" shows you which one.

Other than that, I like it. :-)