[LLVMdev] Register based vector insert/extract

Evan Cheng evan.cheng at apple.com
Mon Apr 23 18:22:38 PDT 2007

On Apr 23, 2007, at 4:07 PM, Christopher Lamb wrote:

> Thanks for the detailed response.
>
> On Apr 23, 2007, at 4:22 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:
>
>> Right.  Evan is currently focusing on getting the late stages of
>> the code
>> generator (e.g. livevars) to be able to understand arbitrary machine
>> instrs in the face of physreg subregs.  This lays the groundwork for
>> handling vreg subregs, but won't solve it directly.
>
> Is the work Evan doing a prerequisite for supporting vreg subregs?

Sort of. vreg subregs work can start before I finish phyregs subregs
support. But unless there are no live-in registers nothing can
possibly work.

> Is there a PR for the feature Evan is working on?

You filed it. PR1306. :-)

>>> Is any of this kind of work planned? The addition of those
>>> MRegisterInfo functions has me curious...
>>
>> This is on our mid-term plan, which means we'll probably tackle it
>> over
>> the next year or so, but we don't have any concrete plans in the
>> immediate
>> future.  If you are interested, this should be a pretty reasonable
>> project
>> that will give you a chance to become more familiar with various
>> pieces of
>> the early code generator. :)
>
> I have other higher priority tasks right now, but I think we'll want
> to have this in sooner rather than later. If you have any pointers on
> a good starting point it'd be mighty helpful. If I can get a grasp on
> it I'll start incremental work in the background.

It's really unclear how we will implement this. I haven't given it
much thought because it's not yet important for us. If you have
ideas, please share. :-)

> Probably the place to start would be opening a PR. Does "Support for
> vreg subregs" capture the essence of the enhancement?

Sure. Please add the relevant information from the thread to the bug
though.

Evan