[LLVMdev] Register based vector insert/extract

Christopher Lamb christopher.lamb at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 11:17:59 PDT 2007

On Apr 23, 2007, at 12:31 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, Christopher Lamb wrote:
>> How can one let the back end know how to insert and extract
>> elements of
>> a vector through sub-register copies? I'm at a loss how to do this...
>
> You probably want to custom lower the insertelement/extractelement
> operations for the cases you support.  Take a look at
> X86TargetLowering::LowerEXTRACT_VECTOR_ELT for some examples of how
> to do
> this.

The issue I'm having is that there is no extract/insert instruction
in the ISA, it's simply based on using subregister operands in
subsequent/preliminary instructions. At the pointer of custom
lowering register allocation has not yet been done, so I don't have a
way to communicate the dependency.

--
Christopher Lamb