[LLVMdev] compilation failure on OS X powerpc

Scott Michel scottm at aero.org
Thu Apr 12 10:32:02 PDT 2007

On Apr 12, 2007, at 10:27 AM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Ryan M. Lefever wrote:
>> I have an ibook G4 (powerpc) running OS X panther.  I am using gcc
>> 4.0.3
>> installed from Darwin Ports to compile llvm.  When I try to compile
>> llvm, I get the following error:
>>
>> llvm[1]: Compiling Program.cpp for Debug build
>> Unix/Program.inc: In function 'void llvm::SetMemoryLimits(unsigned
>> int)':
>> Unix/Program.inc:127: error: 'RLIMIT_AS' was not declared in this
>> scope
>
> I don't know much about darwin ports.  I assume it's an FSF version of
> GCC?  If so, I strongly recommend against using it.  FSF GCC has a
> number
> of minor ABI differences with Apple GCC.  I'd strongly suggest
> getting and
> installing Xcode 2.4, it is free and well supported.

MacPorts (formerly DarwinPorts) is a software installation/maint
infrastructure. It uses whatever compiler "gcc" happens to be.
Generally, this'll be the same as the XCode gcc, unless for some
reason the user has installed one of the other/newer gcc versions
available from the port collection.

This doesn't help with the user's original problem, but the
likelihood that it's not Apple's gcc is small.

-scooter