[LLVMdev] "Name that compiler"

Devang Patel dpatel at apple.com
Thu Apr 12 10:34:35 PDT 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 9:44 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:

>  I think we need to
> continue to use the name 'LLVM' to refer to the IR (i.e. that which is
> described in http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html),

Makes sense.

> and we should plan to
> attach LLVM as a suffix to the project name for several years to
> come: For
> example: "Use the Foo/LLVM Compiler System, it runs infinite loops
> faster
> than the competition!".

I think, it is a good idea to have clean separation and avoid adding
suffix. In
today's internet age, dots between 'Foo' and LLVM are connected
immediately.
People will know that Foo was formerly known as LLVM. Plus as soon as
they
read/learn about 'Foo' they will realize that it uses IR named LLVM :)

-
Devang