[LLVMdev] Installing binary gcc-4.0 frontend on x86-linux: where is llvm-gcc?

Scott Michel scottm at aero.org
Wed Sep 13 08:31:59 PDT 2006

Warren Armstrong wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently downloaded the gcc 4 frontend from:
> http://llvm.org/releases/1.8/llvm-gcc4-1.8-x86-linux.tar.gz
>
> I checked out the source from CVS using:
> cvs -d :pserver:anon at llvm.org:/var/cvs/llvm login
> cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anon at llvm.org:/var/cvs/llvm co llvm
>
> Running the configure script fails to find llvm-gcc.  Inspecting
> the untarred frontend, it doesn't contain any such binary, although
> it does have gcc and g++ (sans llvm- prefix).  Is this a problem with
> the configure script, the download, or the procedure I followed?

I should probably send a patch to update the "Build gcc4" section. If
you're building the frontend from scratch, as it looks like you are,
then you won't have llvm-gcc. You can still build all of the tools, but
you can't build the complete package.

The build process that works for me was:

a) Compile the llvm source using "make ENABLE_OPTIMIZED=1 tools-only"
b) Compile the gcc frontentd with the "--enable-llvm" option pointing to
the llvm object
    directory, and install (at least somewhere on your path...)
c) Recompile llvm, "make ENABLE_OPTIMIZED=1", which should now use your
   newly compiled tools.