[LLVMdev] Installing binary gcc-4.0 frontend on x86-linux: where is llvm-gcc?

Warren Armstrong warren.armstrong at anu.edu.au
Tue Sep 12 20:26:31 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I recently downloaded the gcc 4 frontend from:
http://llvm.org/releases/1.8/llvm-gcc4-1.8-x86-linux.tar.gz

I checked out the source from CVS using:
cvs -d :pserver:anon at llvm.org:/var/cvs/llvm login
cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anon at llvm.org:/var/cvs/llvm co llvm

Running the configure script fails to find llvm-gcc.  Inspecting
the untarred frontend, it doesn't contain any such binary, although
it does have gcc and g++ (sans llvm- prefix).  Is this a problem with
the configure script, the download, or the procedure I followed?

If it matters, I ran the configure script like this:
cd /usr/local/llvm/debug/
../src/configure --prefix=/usr/local/llvm/debug/
--with-llvmgccdir=/usr/local/bin/llvm/4.0 --enable-debug-runtime
--enable-jit --enable-targets=x86

I'm running Gentoo Linux on an x86 system.

Cheers,
Warren

PS: I changed the configure script to look for plain 'gcc' and 'g++' in
the directory
specified, which it finds ok.  I haven't included a patch because I don't
know exactly where the problem is.