[LLVMdev] gfortran calling convention

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Mon Sep 11 14:51:50 PDT 2006

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006, Michael McCracken wrote:
>> No, gfortran in gcc 4.0 is, ehm, highly experimental (read: a piece of
>> junk). Gfortran in gcc 4.1 was the first one that worked for NIST (and
>> for SPEC).
>
> Hm. I had noticed a bunch of changes in the current sources, but had
> hoped 4.0.1 wasn't too far behind. This is discouraging. So, it sounds
> like it might be a waste of effort to work on the 4.0.1 llvm-gfortran.

I think that any porting work you do now will still be valuable in the
future... so it's not wasted effort.  I don't know how useful 4.0.1 will
be though.

> What are the plans for moving to a newer gcc for the llvm branch? I
> suspect it isn't planned too soon, right?

Not soon.  We are likely to skip 4.1 and go right to 4.2, but 4.2 has to
get more solid first.

> What about just updating the fortran-related sources in the llvm
> branch to their current state in gcc svn and going from there, does
> anyone have a good idea how difficult that would be? From my limited
> experience, it seems like the interface between gfortran and the rest
> of the gcc tree doesn't need to change much.
> I'm not clear on how hard that would be to manage merging later, but I
> would like to be able to keep moving on this without running over old
> bugs...

No idea, but that sounds like a pretty big change.  It may be simpler (or
comperable) to merge the LLVM changes into 4.1.  I'm personally not
interested in doing the work, but if you wanted to tackle it I'd be happy
to answer questions that arise from it if I can.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.org/