[LLVMdev] gfortran calling convention

Michael McCracken michael.mccracken at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 19:59:12 PDT 2006

On 9/9/06, Steven Bosscher <stevenb.gcc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/9/06, Chris Lattner <sabre at nondot.org> wrote:
> > > Actually, the entire suite compiles flawlessly with gfortran.
> > > See http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranResults
> >
> > Was that true of GCC 4.0.1?
>
> No, gfortran in gcc 4.0 is, ehm, highly experimental (read: a piece of
> junk). Gfortran in gcc 4.1 was the first one that worked for NIST (and
> for SPEC).

Hm. I had noticed a bunch of changes in the current sources, but had
hoped 4.0.1 wasn't too far behind. This is discouraging.

So, it sounds like it might be a waste of effort to work on the 4.0.1
llvm-gfortran.
What are the plans for moving to a newer gcc for the llvm branch? I
suspect it isn't planned too soon, right?

What about just updating the fortran-related sources in the llvm
branch to their current state in gcc svn and going from there, does
anyone have a good idea how difficult that would be? From my limited
experience, it seems like the interface between gfortran and the rest
of the gcc tree doesn't need to change much.
I'm not clear on how hard that would be to manage merging later, but I
would like to be able to keep moving on this without running over old
bugs...

Any ideas from those more familiar with the situation?

Thanks,
-mike

--
Michael McCracken