[LLVMdev] LLVM based Virtual Machine "Environment" idea sanity check.

Domagoj Babic babic.domagoj at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 14:51:59 PDT 2006

Hi Shawn,

The idea reminds me a lot on the research on Java operating systems. If
you google for it, you'll find a plenty of references.

In my opinion, the main problem you're going to run into if you want to
design a serious system is interprocess communication. With Java, that's
a huge problem, because each app traditionally runs in a separate virtual
machine. Garbage collection complicates this even further.

You might also want to check Singularity project:
http://research.microsoft.com/os/singularity/

--
    Domagoj