[LLVMdev] EH and C++ intergation

Žiga Osolin ziga.osolin at gimb.org
Tue Nov 21 06:49:41 PST 2006

I was going through documentation and source lately, and I decided how to
make llvm bytecode more compatible to C++:
1) thiscall sould be introduced, which would take N arguments and the
first argument would always be the C++ "this" argument. This would
abstract llvm compiler dependant C++ code emittion.

2) the ret instruction should be able to return structs (as Chris has
already written on his page).

3) the EH could be done at code emission and would leave bytecodes
portable. Each backend would emit code compatible (if possible) with the
compiler it is compiled with; if llvm is compiled with VC8, it would emit
code compatible with VC8.

I will probably soon begin with development. Please let me know if there
is any thing more I need to consider/know, or if there is someting wrong
with the design. Also, any help (especially the thing with struct returns)
would be very welcomed. In my opinion this is a big feature required by llvm.

Regards,
Žiga