[LLVMdev] LLVM and Cell processor

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Mon Nov 20 20:52:45 PST 2006

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, [ISO-8859-1] Sébastien Pierre wrote:
> I've been following LLVM for a couple of years, and though I've not
> found an occasion to use it (yet), I'm always curious about its
> potential uses.

cool. :)

> I was discussing with friends about the Cell processor, and some of
> the arguments were that it is difficult to program and difficult to
> optimize. One of the concerns was that the PPE (central processor) is
> "in order", which implies that the compiler has to be able to
> optimize the code in a much more advanced way.

Right.

> I don't know if LLVM will support the Cell, but I was wondering if
> there are features that allow to produce code that will be optimized
> for "in order" processors.

Sure.  LLVM has strong support for vector operations and has support for
low-level scheduling with hazard recognition/pipeline modeling.  I'm not
aware of anyone working on a Cell port of LLVM, but it would be a welcome
addition if anyone were interested in tackling the project.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.org/