[LLVMdev] datapoint for recent llvm-gcc4 build failures

Andrew Purtell apurtell at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 9 11:45:03 PST 2006

I routinely fetch the latest LLVM and LLVM-GCC4 and recompile, perhaps every few days or so. I've not had success in some cases building LLVM-GCC4 on a Gentoo Linux host, for perhaps the last week or so. My system compiler is GCC 4.1.1.

cc1: /usr/src/llvm/llvm/include/llvm/Target/TargetInstrInfo.h:151:const llvm::TargetInstrDescriptor& llvm::TargetInstrInfo::get(llvm::MachineOpCode) const: Assertion '(unsigned)Opcode < NumOpcodes' failed.
/usr/src/llvm/llvm-gcc4/gcc/crtstuff.c: At top level:
/usr/src/llvm/llvm-gcc4/gcc/crtstuff.c:314: internal compiler error: Aborted
<<<

This occurs only when building for Release. (Maybe I shouldn't do that with fresh CVS and SVN checkouts? :-) I'd build Debug, but I prefer sub-several-minute link times). If I switch the system compiler to GCC 3.4.6, this failure goes away. I'm not sure how to interpret that, in light of the many many changes between those two compiler versions, and the history of GCC 4.x codegen bugs.

Whenever I rebuild LLVM/LLVM-GCC4, I first clean all installed traces from the machine, so there isn't a question of old binaries or old libraries perhaps being pulled into the new build.

I have an older source tree from a few weeks back where this is most definitely not a problem. I regret that I cannot be more precise about what commit produced the breakage (for me).

In closing, please allow me to congratulate all of you for all of your hard work. LLVM is very impressive and useful.

Andrew Purtell
SPARTA, Inc.
apurtell at yahoo.com

Opinions and communications made via this account should not be construed to be either the opinion of or an official communication from SPARTA, Inc.