[LLVMdev] Times/Sizes of LLVMCore.o vs libLLVMCore.a

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Wed May 31 16:28:01 PDT 2006

(Sorry, previous post got sent by accident. This is the real one)

Folks,

Here's some timing results looking at LLVM when it uses libLLVMCore.o
vs. libLLVMCore.a. We're trying to decide which way to go and thought
some data would help.

The net of it is that using libLLVMCore.a is cheaper in both time and
size of executables. We save 37 seconds on linking LLVMCore and about 1
minute 30 seconds linking all the tools. The executables are all about
700K smaller (debug) with the library.

The data below was generated from using GCC 3.4.6 and binutils  2.15.92
on Fedora Core 3 running on a 2.4GHz Dual Xenon with 1GB of ram.

Time
With libLLVMCore.a
With LLVMCore.o
Link Real Time (-j 1)