[LLVMdev] Inline hints for *compiler clients*

Vikram S. Adve vadve at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 15 11:54:05 PST 2006

On Mar 15, 2006, at 11:15 AM, Chris Lattner wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Vikram S. Adve wrote:
>>> Why can't the compiler pass just call InlineFunction(CallSite) on
>>> the callsite it wants inlined?  The only way that can fail is if
>>> LLVM cannot ever inline the call (e.g. it uses varargs).
>
>> In some cases, that would be fine.  But in other cases:
>> (1) It cannot "un-inline" any function that was previously inlined.
>
> I'm not following.  Why do you want to uninline stuff?  If we had a
> 'never inline these functions' list,

We don't have such a list, at least not so far.  We do have a "used"
list but that's presumably used for other things.

> a transformation could add any function it wants to this list to
> prevent the inliner from inlining it in the future.
>
> Aside from that, I don't see what uninlining has to do with
> inlining heuristics, can you explain a bit more?

I'm not sure what there is to explain.  Inlining heuristics control
what to inline.  If you're writing a tool, you'd want to run the
inliner while influencing what it chooses to inline.

>> (2) It requires writing a driver loop nest to go over all call
>> sites and decide what to do.  If all you want is to influence the
>> existing heuristics, that seems like too much work.
>
> You're talking about something like 5 lines of code, plus the
> predicate deciding whether to inline it or not (which you'd need
> anyway).

That's 5 more lines than if you simply wanted to influence the
inlining heuristics.

>> (3) If multiple passes want such control, this would end up
>> duplicating the driver code.
>
> Again, this is a trivial amount of code.

I don't agree.

> Giving passes the ability to modify the heuristics used by the
> inliner would significantly dwarf this in both amount of code and
> complexity.

Again, I don't agree.  I looked at the getInlineCost(const CallSite&
CS) function.  It has a dozen or more embedded constants in it.  If
those used symbolic constant indexes into a cost table, any tool
could influence the heuristics simply by changing the values in the
table, which (it seems to me) would be simple and intuitive.

> What are you really trying to do here?  Can you provide an example?

I was just trying to help John by following up on his issue.

--Vikram
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/