[LLVMdev] llvm-gcc 4.0 for Linux at x86

Reid Spencer reid at x10sys.com
Tue Jun 6 20:14:12 PDT 2006

Hi John,

llvm-gcc4 by default emits object files, just as gcc does. This is by
design. If you want to get bytecode output you need to use the --emit-
llvm-bc option. A complete list of the options that llvm-gcc4 supports
can be obtained with "llvm-gcc -v --help" (lots of output). Here are the
descriptions of the --emit-llvm options:

  -emit-llvm                  Emit LLVM code to the .s file instead of
native
  -emit-llvm-bc               Emit LLVM IR to the output file instead of
native

Please note that I was successful today in building llvm-gcc4 on Linux
(FC3) and there is now a binary version available for Linux at:

http://llvm.org/2006-06-01-llvm-gcc4-linux-x86-binary.tar.gz

Reid.