[LLVMdev] Thanks for llvm!

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Fri Jul 14 14:46:16 PDT 2006

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> I wanted to say a big thank-you for developing llvm, I've always been
> fascinated by agressive optimizing frameworks like JVMs and other
> virtual machines and was a bit sad that the gnu-world relies(d) on
> techniques which have more or less reached their possibilities.
> Although I would call myself an end-user developer, its great to see
> people working on such cool stuff :-)

:) we're glad it's interesting and useful!

> PS: One things about which I was not able to find information is
> wether llvm is also able to do optimistic compilation/decompilation
> and wether its able to optimize virtual method calls.

LLVM does simple devirtualization through pointer analysis, but doesn't
have a dedicated pass for it.  I'm not sure what "optimistic
compilation/decompilation" means without more context, but LLVM can lazily
JIT functions, and those functions can be optimized when JIT'd.  Once
JIT'd, the code can be replaced with a modified (e.g. optimized again, or
potentially totally different) functions.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.org/