[LLVMdev] LLVM bytecode simulator/emulator?

Kenneth Hoste kenneth.hoste at elis.ugent.be
Wed Jul 12 10:13:08 PDT 2006

Dear all,

Just today, I heard of the existence of the LLVM project. Because of its
high activity and projects, I'm quite interested in it for using it in
my research.
Currently, we are comparing applications/programs/benchmarks by
collecting characteristics of their dynamic behavior. This is done by
instrumenting the program (using ATOM on Alpha), and subsequently
running the program. During the instrumented run, anything we would like
to know about the dynamic behavior of the program is captured, and spit
out into log files.
The only drawback is that we are currently stuck to the Alpha
architecture, which means we are limited in our abilities... LLVM could
provide a solution to this, because the intermediar LLVM bytecode is not
biased towards a particular architecture. The question is if there are
tools to support the profilation of the benchmarks I'm running (i.e.
SPEC CPU2000, among others).

Are there any freely available instrumentator/simulator tools available
for the LLVM bytecode, which, if possible, are also properly maintained?
Or is there some kind of profilation already possbile, where I can start
from?

Any suggestions, remarks or ideas are welcome, either through replying
to the mailing list or to me directly.

greetings,

Kenneth Hoste
Phd student @ Ghent University

--
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what
they conceal is vital (Aaron Levenstein)

Kenneth Hoste
ELIS - Ghent University
kenneth.hoste at elis.ugent.be
http://www.elis.ugent.be/~kehoste