[LLVMdev] X86-64 target

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Thu Jan 19 14:59:20 PST 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Morten Ofstad wrote:
> Hello, I'm currently porting our software to the x86-64 (windows)
> platform. I've already done most of the work involved in getting LLVM
> itself to run on 64-bit windows, but of course that doesn't help much as
> long as the emitted code is 32-bit...

My understanding is that LLVM builds fine on AMD64 machines running Linux,
and we'd obviously be happy to merge in changes you made to make it work
well on Win64.

> Since we're using LLVM for dynamic code generation it's not just a matter of
> fixing the compilation problems but also re-targeting the x86 backend to use
> 64 bit pointers everywhere. I'm not familiar with the x86-64 instruction set,
> so I really have no idea how much work this will be. My question is really if
> anyone is already working on this, perhaps on a 64-bit Linux?

Unfortunately, there is no work (that I'm aware of) to add 64-bit X86
support yet.  The plans I'm aware of to add this will start in 4-5 months.
If you were already familiar with the architecture and the LLVM code
generator, I would guess it could be done in 3-4 weeks without a problem.
If not on both counts, it might take a few more months.

-Chris

--
http://nondot.org/sabre/
http://llvm.org/