[LLVMdev] gfortran

Michael McCracken michael.mccracken at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 23:57:19 PDT 2006

Hi, in a thread this afternoon about compiling the Fortran SPEC2000 to
LLVM bytecode, Chris mentioned that it should be possible to compile
to LLVM with the gfortran front end, although no one has necessarily
tried it.

I was surprised (and happy) to hear this, as under the impression that
it would require a "complete rewrite of the gfortran backend" [1].
Now, I probably misinterpreted that exchange, but it was the only
public record I could find of discussion about using LLVM and
gfortran.

What's the difference between how it works now and what Steven
Bosscher was saying would be a huge job?

Also, is there any rough idea of how far from working it might be - I
note that there's considerable room for interpretation in the phrasing
of "See what works and what
doesn't, debug, fix, submit patch, repeat." :)

The reason I'm asking is that if it sounds like something I'll be able
to make a dent in, I'm going to start on it first thing tomorrow
morning. Like it's my job.

Thanks,
-mike

[1]:http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2005-11/msg00929.html