[LLVMdev] compiling the full SPEC CPU2000 suite to LLVM bytecode

Kenneth Hoste kenneth.hoste at elis.ugent.be
Wed Aug 30 22:10:21 PDT 2006

On 30 Aug 2006, at 23:04, Chris Lattner wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Kenneth Hoste wrote:
>>>  I use NAG with llvm-gcc4.  What sort of errors do you get?  Did
>>> you  configure llvm-test with the appropriate flags to find it?
>> Yes, I did. llvm-test is configured as follows: (in /work/LLVM/
>> 1.8/ llvm/project/llvm-test):
>> ./configure --with-spec2000=/work/SPEC_CPU2000_1.3_src/benchspec
>> -- without-f2c --with-f95-bin=/work/NAG_f95/bin --with-f95-lib=/
>> work/NAG_f95/lib --with-f95-inc=/work/NAG_f95/lib --with-llvmsrc=/
>> work/LLVM/1.8/llvm --with-llvmobj=/work/LLVM/1.8/llvm
>
> What does this print?
>
> $ grep F95 .../projects/llvm-test/Makefile.config

-bash-3.00$ grep F95 projects/llvm-test/Makefile.config
# F95: Enable LLVM to run Fortran benchmarks without a Fortran front-end
USE_F95=1
F95_DIR :=
F95     := /work/NAG_f95/bin/f95
F95_INC := /work/NAG_f95/lib
F95_LIB := /work/NAG_f95/lib

Looks ok to me...

>> I then cd into llvm-test/External/SPEC and run make to compile the
>> benchmarks to LLVM bytecode. Make stops with the following error
>> messages:
>>
>> /work/SPEC_CPU2000_1.3_src/benchspec/CFP2000/189.lucas/src/
>> lucas_distrib_spec.f90:2995: error: syntax error before ‘(’ token
>
> Very strange.  Have you *looked* at the file?  Does it looks
> reasonable? What's going on on that line?
>
> Have you tried to debug this at all?
>
>> Any further suggestions what might be wrong are welcome...
>> Especially the /lib/NAGWare/... part puzzles me.. I did show with
>> configure where the NAGWare lib dir is located, so why this error?
>
> I don't know, maybe your Makefile.config entries will shed light on
> this.

>>> will >  disappear in the near future (with the use of gfortran).
>>> Is that >  correct? Or will there
>>>  Someone needs to do the work to test gfortran and fix any
>>> problems it runs  into.  I'm not aware of anyone doing this,
>>> though it's probably not hard.
>>
>> So, in the future it will be possible to use gcc/g++/gfortran to
>> generate LLVM bytecode?
>
> Yes, if someone does the work.

This is just a single error appearing, I'm getting hundreds, if not
thousands, of these error, for various benchmarks/files.

Which LLVM version is working for you with F95?

Kenneth

--

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but
what they conceal is vital (Aaron Levenstein)

Kenneth Hoste
ELIS - Ghent University
kenneth.hoste at elis.ugent.be
http://www.elis.ugent.be/~kehoste