[LLVMdev] updating the "Getting Started" page with more info about the gcc4 frontend

Scott Michel scottm at rushg.aero.org
Thu Aug 24 17:22:28 PDT 2006

Devang Patel wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2006, at 7:00 PM, Emil Mikulic wrote:
>
>> Where -is- that documented?
>>
>> The only reason I know about it is because of how many times it's come
>> up on the list.  =)
>
> http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html ?

> Example with llvm-gcc4
> First, create a simple C file, name it 'hello.c':
>   #include <stdio.h>
>   int main() {
>     printf("hello world\n");
>     return 0;
>   }
>
> Next, compile the C file into a native executable:

That part about "native" -- yeah, it's there. The existence predicate
returns true. IT'S SOMETHING THAT IS EASILY SKIPPED OVER WHEN SKIMMING
THE DOCUMENT BECAUSE, HECK, THE GCC3 DRIVER COMPILES DIRECTLY TO
BYTECODE SO WHY DOESNT GCC4?

It's a "least surprise" issue. If gcc3 produces bytecode directly, why
did the gcc4 driver create such a large departure from original,
expected functionality? It's a rhetorical question, BTW.