[LLVMdev] llvm cvs/svn installscript

Fredrik Svensson fred at ludd.ltu.se
Mon Aug 14 07:36:26 PDT 2006

Hi all!

I wanted to test the LLVM system.

By reading the homepage I figured that llvm-gcc4 seemed
the best way to go.
I tried to follow the homepage and the instructions in README.LLVM
Sometimes confusing but in retrospect not that hard.

But I could not produce the .bc file with a simple program
no matter how hard I tried.

After some help from resistor in #llvm it became clear that I did not know
about -emit-llvm. Thank you resistor.

Before finding this out I created an install script to make sure I had made
every step, so I could ask the list if the steps were correct.

Now I have found my problem but maybe the script can be useful for someone
else, or even included in the documentation.

The script installs llvm in a given directory (default LLVM=/tmp/llvm)
using the latest cvs/svn sources.
It is a simple bash script so it should not be hard to follow.
*Please Note* that rm -rf $LLVM is used in the script. That is the reason I
use /tmp/llvm as default dir in the script I send to the list.

Please note that about 879 Mb of free space is needed to build llvm with
llvm-gcc4 frontend.

$ du -hs *
124M    build
30M     install
173M    llvm
554M    llvm-gcc4
20K     test

The script have only been tested on a Debian sid machine using default gcc :
gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20060729 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-10)

Hope it helps someone..

/Fred