[LLVMdev] gcc4 or gcc3?

Anton Korobeynikov asl at math.spbu.ru
Mon Aug 7 11:48:59 PDT 2006

Hello Hendrik

Mon, 07 Aug 2006 14:35:25 -0400 you wrote:

> (1) To install llvm, do I really need the llvm version of the gcc
> front end? I have no special interest in yet another c/c++ conmpiler.
No. This will only need, if you want to turn your C\C++ sources to LLVM
bytecode.

> (4) The page http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#checkout says
> to get the gcc 3.4 source code.
> The instructions to compile it in
> http://llvm.org/docs/CFEBuildInstrs.html seem to deal in gcc 3 and
> gcc 4 instead.  Is this an error in the documentation, or does it
> indicate that I should compile the llvm-gcc 3.4 source code with
> GNU's gcc versions 3 or 4 depending on what;'s already installed on
> my system.

Original llvm-gcc is based on pre-3.4 branch of gcc. This leads to some
amount of bugs due to gcc itself. llvm-gcc4 should fix much of that
stuff, since it's based on gcc 4.0.1.

You can compile llvm-gcc (either 3 or 4) with any supported version of
gcc (pretty easy: it should be somehow fresh).

--
With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov.

Faculty of Mathematics & Mechanics, Saint Petersburg State University.